One of my all-time favorite brunch items is chilaquiles because for one it’s an excuse to have tortilla chips for breakfast, and two they are so easy & almost effortless to make. Today I will FINALLY be sharing with you my recipe for the most delicious chilaquiles you have ever tasted. It’s taken me some time to get around to posting this but only because I was finishing up the last of my spring semester. I am happy to say that I completed the final 2 courses I needed in order to apply for my masters! It feels so good to finally say that as I honestly didn’t think I would survive this last semester. Now that I am done with school, for now, I will finally be able to get back to what I love and give Life at the Mesa my full attention. In my absence, I have been working on various recipes so as the weeks go on I have many new exciting recipes to share with you. Anyways, if you made it this far then I’m sure you just want the deets on these amazing chilaquiles so let’s go ahead and jump straight into the recipe.
◊ Serving size: 2
- 6 corn tortillas (cut into strips)
- 2-3 eggs over easy
- cotija cheese
- sour cream
◊ Makes 2 cups
- 6 Roma tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno (with seeds) or 1 serrano pepper for more heat
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Place all the ingredients for the salsa in the blender and blend to combine.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add in 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add in the blended salsa and allow to simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the color turns a deep red.
- Once it has developed a dark red color, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat the oven to 400 F and place the cut up pieces of tortilla on a baking tray. Bake for about 10-12 minutes but flip them halfway through to make sure they brown evenly. Time may vary depending on the size of the chips.
As I begin this next chapter of my life, I can’t wait to share with you all that I learn in my pursuit of becoming an RD. Nutrition and health is my greatest passion in life and specifically showing you how delicious and fulfilling a healthy lifestyle can be. Thank you for being patient with me as I completed my semester. I look forward to creating content for you that will help you to be better informed about your health and what proper nourishment can do for you and your health. I shall be back VERY soon with more recipes.Do Not Sell My Personal Information