With the semester in full swing, I’m on the hunt for recipes that are both nutritious and quick. After a long day at school, the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. With that being said, today I will be sharing with you one of my favorite recipes that is packed with plant-based protein and comes together in under 30 minutes- lentil sloppy joes. Growing up, I remember my mom making sloppy joes during a busy weekday as it was quick, delicious, and sure to fill us up. When I was playing around with some dinner ideas, I immediately thought back to that recipe and decided to replicate it but to substitute lentils in place of the ground beef. As I’ve mentioned before, I personally enjoy eating mostly plant-based as I find that is what keeps me feeling the most energized and focused throughout the day. Additionally, lentils are a great source of plant-based protein and are loaded with fiber and iron as well. Lentils are one of those foods that I feel are completely underrated as they are loaded with nutrients but also make a great substitute in many recipes that call for ground beef. I always have lentils on hand and typically try to eat them in some form or another at least once a week. Before I ramble on for too long I’ll cut it short and simply say that whether or not you are a vegetarian I am certain you will enjoy this recipe. My boyfriend who is incredibly picky couldn’t get enough of this and enjoyed the leftovers the following days which is huge because he is not a fan of leftovers. Now, let’s get into what you will need to make these delicious lentil sloppy joes.
◊ Makes 6-8 sandwiches
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups beef broth (I used 2 cups water & mixed it with 2 tsp of Better than Bouillon no beef broth, you can find it here)
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt (if using a different broth you may need to add an extra 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
optional: 1/2 diced jalapeno (for an extra kick)
- Begin by cooking the lentils in the broth for 15-20 minutes until thoroughly cooked
- In a saute pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and saute the celery and onion for about 3-5 minutes until softened
- Add in the cooked lentils and remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and allow to simmer on medium-low for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened turn off the heat and serve atop a toasted bun and dinner is served!
If you try this recipe out be sure to tag @lifeatthemesa on Instagram so we can see how it turns out for you. I hope you all have a great rest of your week and I will be back soon with another healthy and delicious recipe!