One of the most popular “health” foods are green smoothies. While they may be convenient and quick when on the go, not all green smoothies are all that healthy. In fact, many green smoothies are loaded with sugar to compensate for the added vegetables. Although fruits are a healthy choice, they are naturally high in sugar so just like any other sweets, they should be eaten in moderation. Fruits are usually better as a snack in between meals when paired along with a source of fat and protein. When too much fruit is added to a smoothie, it can spike blood sugar levels which will ultimately make you crash. For that reason, I have created two smoothie options that contain both protein and fat to help counter-balance that blood sugar spike. Whether you like fruity smoothies or creamy smoothies, I’m sure that you will find one of two of these recipes will help to satisfy your craving. Both of these recipes contain spinach which is high in vitamins A, C, K, and the mineral folate. These smoothies are very filling and are best suited for a meal replacement.
Piña Colada Inspired Smoothie
◊ Serves 2
- 2 handfuls spinach (about 2 cups)*
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 4 tbsp ground flax seed
*Note: When I initially tried this recipe I used Kale but no matter how long I blended it for, the smoothie remained chunky. So I would avoid using kale in a green smoothie unless you have a really high power blender or juicer.
- Add orange juice and spinach into a blender and blend until spinach is mostly gone.
- Add in the yogurt, coconut milk, frozen pineapple, and ground flaxseed and blend until completely smooth.
Peanut Butter Cup Inspired Smoothie
◊ Serves 2
- 2 handfuls spinach (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups milk (I used soy)
- 4 tbsp peanut butter*
- 2 frozen bananas
*Note: Be sure to use a peanut butter that does not contain added oil or sugar
- Add in milk and spinach to a blender and blend until spinach is almost completely blended.
- Add in peanut butter and frozen bananas and continue to blend until completely smooth.